Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Patience Grasshopper...

 This blog will be posted some time after it was written due to an outside directive to not talk about my living donor experience until after I have donated.  If you are reading this, it is because I have completed the donation process. 
February 15, 2011

Patience is a virtue. Or so they say anyway.  I've always been a fairly patient person.  Line up?  No problem.  Flight delay?  Great excuse to buy a book. Traffic?  Okay,  I might get a little antsy (I'm not a saint!) but I am still calmer that 99% of the drivers around me. As a child, I appeared even more patient than most in contrast to my severely-patience-challenged younger brother who often didn't want to wait the amount of time it took someone to complete the simplest of tasks for him.

Maybe I should have bottled some of that patience up and saved it for the future because I am really having a hard time "waiting" to see if I am approved to donate. Or even just to know when my next appointment is. Last week at the end of my pow wow at Foothills about the whole "social media" situation, I was told that the kidney doctor needed to postpone the appointment I had originally been booked for the next day. I understand the appointment being delayed but its been a few days and I haven't heard back about a re-booking yet. I would think that a calendar is a calendar and they can just look for his/her next available time no?  That particular appointment is the one that determines if I move ahead and if the surgeon appointment can be booked (which will be 1-2 weeks after that).

It's tough waiting.  People ask me what's next and I just have to shrug...I know the next step but I don't know when it is. You'd be surprised how much hinges on whether or not I am eligible.  Things like the level of volunteering I will do with a new organization I'm involved with with (Momentum-check them out as they are a pretty interesting resource in the Calgary community).  I've just started sitting on their micro business loan committee and I am interested in also doing some business development coaching.  I don't want to get involved with that though unless I know I can commit to the blocks of time required as my coaching could impact a start-up business plan's success. It's also making me wonder about the best timing for some role changes at work as well as the best time to take vacation.  I also was considering doing the Kidney March but if my surgery is not till later in the year that might not be feasible. However if its in the next 2 months (or not at all) then I could still do it and could start fundraising now!

I know, I know-when they are ready they will call and I will know when I know. I just need to be patient.  After all,  patience is the art of concealing your impatience (Guy Kawasaki).

No comments:

Post a Comment