Pages

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Moms the Word

Making the decision to have a child is momentous.  It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body.  ~Elizabeth Stone

I called my mom tonight and told her about my potential plans. Despite the fact I could tell she was uncertain and worried, she was very supportive.  She listened, asked questions and tried to understand why I would even think to do this.  She said it might even be worth another trip to Calgary (Ha!).  I am surprised how well she took it to be honest.  But really everyone's reaction is surprising me in someway; everyone I have told has said or done something I wasn't expecting based on my previous experiences with them. Interestingly enough, the men are the most "on the fence" or aloof  or critical of the situation. Granted I've only told three but its not looking good here guys! The ladies on the other hand have been overwhelmingly positive and supportive wanting to learn more.  They have also all offered to help if they can. I am not ready to make assumptions based on gender but if the shoe fits....

I am glad I've told her and am thrilled she reacted as well as she did. There are a few others I'd like to tell before putting this blog "out there" and that likely will have happened right around the phase one test results coming back so it will be good timing-if I am not eligible to move ahead there won't be anything more for this blog to tell right?

Funny side note.  A coworker I told my plans to yesterday actually read this whole blog last night.  My boss, John, said that if I got people to read my blog and comment, that would be almost the same as "being published" as far as my Part B goes at work.  While I am fairly certain he would say "Sally"doesn't count, it is pretty cool that I almost obtained a personal goal within a day of forming it!