Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Leftie Love & Fundraising

Late Monday night I sent out an email to friends, family and coworkers (and a post to Facebook) explaining that I was looking to raise money for the upcoming Kidney March, and if I could raise closer to $2200 instead of the $300 needed to crew the event, I would walk 100KM.

In less than 24 hours, I have been sponsored over $800. Many of the pledges came from people I wasn't expecting to step forward. People I was hoping for "a little love" from came forward with overwhelming generosity-way more than "a little love". I'm committed now to raising the rest of the money required for me to be a marcher. The people have spoken-they think I can do this and I am going to do my best to not let them down.What was most awesome was people who chose to leave comments on my donation page. So many donated not just in support of me, but in "Honour of Leftie".

Someone made the comment to me that I need to not ask people for money, I need to "shut up" about the organ "thing" and stop all of this. I know that for some people times are tough. It seems like daily we are hearing of another country getting a massive financial bailout or needing emergency  assistance. While things are stable and actually looking pretty good in Canada, we'd be foolish to not expect some impact from these other nations and their financial difficulties. I understand not everyone can help me out but I have to ask. I'm not one to jump from cause to cause and I don't get on my soapbox about much (publicly anyway). This is important to me-it's been a big year for me and I want to see it through. Realistically I can't do this every year (especially the kidney donation part!) but given everything that has happened, it makes sense for me to do the march in 2011.

So here is hoping I can come up with more sponsors and make this a reality!