Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Crewing the Kidney March

From September 9-11 this year, marchers from across Canada will congregate in one of Canada's most beautiful regions and will walk 100KM in 3 days in support of the Kidney Foundation of Canada. Shuffling along from Kananaskis Country to Calgary, each participant will have raised at least $2,200 for the fight against kidney disease in the 2011 Kidney March.

I didn't have enough time to get my act together post surgery to raise $2200. Although to be honest if I could raise it in the next 3 weeks I would totally do the walk. So instead I plan to crew the event for the three days which essentially means being part of it, but from a volunteer worker perspective. I still need to raise $300 to do that-so if anyone is interested in sponsoring me, you can check out my page here:

My Kidney Fundraising Page

I'm really excited to be a part of this event. Last winter I was lucky enough to attend a celebration party for last year's Kidney March. At the time I felt like a shy outsider in the community and a little bit like a party crasher-I was a couple of months into my journey to become a kidney donor. I knew no one on dialysis or with kidney disease. I knew a quarter of what I know now about kidney disease. Now I feel a little more like I belong, although even the crew application doesn't have a category for donors (they had one for kidney patients, family, medical community...). I'm hoping that by being involved in this march I can get even more perspective as to what life with kidney disease is like, and maybe be inspired with more ideas about how to raise awareness of living donation. I do wish I was walking -you never know I guess...but being involved period will be fun and rewarding. I'm also looking forward to meeting some people whose stories I've discovered online. I am sure it will be an emotional experience for many but something that will only inspire me to do more to support living donation