Pages

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

“Being normal isn’t one of my strengths"





"No Doctor, this is not what my kidney
 looks like in my mind..."
  Insane people are always sure that they are fine. It is only the sane people who are willing to admit that they are crazy. ~Nora Ephron

On Saturday I get to go for the "crazy test".  At Foothills they prefer the term "Psych" but either way, we know what they are after.  I will have to rein in my "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest" mannerisms for 45 minutes bright and early on a Saturday morning. At least I have 3 days to practice.

In all seriousness, from what I have read the psych test is really just an interview with a psychiatrist or psychologist-I can remember which one is covered by Alberta Health. The good doctor will just be looking to see that there is no coercion, history of depression etc that could jeopardize my emotional well being should the transplant move ahead. From what I understand, they also want me to have a realistic view of the outcome.  This is important for for altruistic donations I guess because I may not find out who receives the kidney or how it turns out in the end (I might though as they are loosening up guidelines around that should all parties be willing). They probably will dig to see if any major life event like a family death or something has triggered this decision. So in reality I should be fine.
It is funny but I think that being adopted has actually been the best preparation for this psych test.  I grew up not knowing my birth relatives and had to accept that.  Then in my 20's when I was given the opportunity to reach out to them through the Ontario government, I had to be prepared for the chance that they may be a) dead or b) unwilling to provide any medical information or c)they might not want any kind of contact.  I also had to be prepared that they might want contact but that they themselves might be crazy (I see a theme here! LOL). My point is that I am not donating a kidney for any reason other than giving a kidney and hopefully helping someone who needs one.  I am OK if I never find out where it went or if it worked. I am also OK if the recipient wants some form of contact whether it be a letter or an in person meeting.  I do have to say that I'd have to draw the line at the telephone though!!. 

We're all crazy and the only difference between patients and their therapists is the therapists haven't been caught yet. ~Max Walker