Pages

Sunday, June 19, 2011

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

This blog will be posted some time after it was written due to an outside directive to not talk about my living donor experience until after I have donated.  If you are reading this, it is because I have completed the donation process.
********************************************************************************
March 23, 2011

Yesterday a couple of things happened that I wouldn't have predicted a two months ago.

The first was that I helped organize a "Learn and Lunch" to support Canadian Blood Services (CBS). I know, lunch and learn sounds better but we do things differently here at the bank. Despite the fact I still think their social media policy for living donors is ridiculous, short sighted, somewhat harmful to potential donors and recipients and unlikely to be followed long term, they help people who need blood. As the office coordinator for the blood donation program it made sense to do this. Because just 1 more person donating is 6 more donations a year (if they go regularly) which can help up to 18 people.

The representative from the Calgary office of CBS was terrific.  She loves what she does and cares about people-its all about the end goal of saving lives. In my head she is what I've always thought of when I think about CBS and I hope over time I can start to feel better about an organization that despite their impact on myself and others involved in kidney transplantation, does good things for people.

The second was that after much ado (and yes about nothing), I finally heard from the Living Donor Program at Foothills. The program coordinator is away and I guess she forwarded my email sent last week to the social worker this week who then replied yesterday.  It seems that Dr N. is also out of town and they "hope" she can review my file the end of next week or start of the following week.  That will put my past the 5 month mark of this process. I guess I was spoiled in the beginning with things moving quickly and having a definite flow to them. Now things seem to have slowed to a snail's pace. While I am trying to be positive, its getting more and more difficult to envision this donation happening. It just doesn't feel the same as it did before in so many ways. I still WANT to donate but I'm having a hard time believing now that its going to happen.  I feel like lately in the last month or so things have been taking a step or two backwards, or worse that I'm sliding quickly down a hill I've fought so hard to climb. While the "climb" is the best part, what we get the most out of in life, the slide isn't always as beneficial.  I'll keep hanging on and hoping that things will go as planned.